What Was Nailed To The Cross?

"Explore the Word. Change the World"
 Home  | Contact  | Become a Christian  | Lessons  | 700+ New Messianic Prophecies  | Modern Science In The Bible

Pray Pray First
> Lessons
> Glossary
> Doctrines
Study Help
> Christ in the Sanctuary
> Sabbath
> Ten Commandments
> Blessings and Curses
> Acts 10
> Colossians 2
> Romans 4
> Hebrews 7
The Laws Of God
There were several types of laws. Some carried a penalty for sin.

  1. The Ten Commandments. They were written by God himself on Mt. Sinai. The very nature of the subjects suggests that they were eternal laws. Curiously, the only law among the ten that could be seen as temporary was the one law that could be traced back to the creation. This is the fourth commandment "remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy".

    The Sabbath was the first law mentioned at creation. It was the oath set up at creation. It became the fourth commandment.
  2. The Law of Moses. They were commonly called the law of Moses because he wrote them. However, it was God who told him what to write for most of these laws.
    Two Sets of Laws
    The Ten Commandments were kept in the Ark of the Covenant. While the other laws were placed beside the ark. (Deuteronomy 31: 26).
    Then he took the testimony and put it into the ark ... and put the mercy seat on top of the ark. (Exodus 40: 20).

    ... the ark of the covenant covered on all sides with gold in which was a golden jar holding the manna, and Aaron's rod which budded, and the tables of the covenant. (Hebrews 9: 4).

    Take this book of the law and place it beside the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, ... (Deuteronomy 31: 26).
  3. Covenants and Promises. There are other agreements that are based on the laws and promises of God that He makes with His creation. A covenant has the characteristics of a law because they are permanent as long as both sides keep their agreements. But covenants are different because they are agreements made between two parties and legally expire at death. Laws never expire. The laws of Moses are covenants based on keeping the Ten Commandments.
  4. Oath or Vow. An oath is not an agreement made between two people. It is an unbreakable promise made by one. This is why God advises sinners not to make oaths. We do not have the capacity to keep them in all circumstances.
    For the law appoints men as high priests who are weak, but the word of the oath, which came after the law, appoints a Son, made perfect forever. (Hebrews 7: 28).

    The unbreakable promise of God gave us Christ.
    for they indeed became priests without an oath, but He with an oath through the One who said to Him. The Lord has sworn and will not change His mind, You are a priest forever. (Hebrews 7: 21). See Hebrews 5: 6; Psalm 110: 4.

Breaking And Changing And Reinforcing Covenants
Laws can never be broken. Covenants are technically never broken either. They are changed to guarantee that they can be kept because they are made with better promises and abilities. The unfaithfulness of one partner, forces the faithful one to find better ways to keep the covenant. In this way the following statement is always true. God never changes.
For I, the Lord do not change. Therefore, you sons of Jacob are not consumed. (Malachi 3: 6).
Our unfaithfulness does not cause Him to immediately enforce the punishments of the covenant, because He is more interested in mercy. Covenants change for several reasons, but the change is usually not what will be done but who does it.

The Renewal of the Covenant
CovenantBlessings (Promises) Curse
Adam Genesis 1-2, Hosea 6: 6-7YesEarth
Same Name
Word of Mouth
Promised Son
Promised Enmity Between the Woman's Seed and the Serpent's SeedNoClean Animal
Noah Genesis 6: 9-10 Yes Yes
Abram Genesis 12-17; 13: 14-17; 15: 4-5 YesLand of Canaan
Life in the Dead Womb
Abram Genesis 17: 1-21Yes Abraham YesYes
Isaac Genesis 26: 3-4YesNo YesLife From Death
Jacob Genesis 28-31; Genesis 35: 10-12YesIsrael
Israel (12 Tribes)Leviticus 26-27 Exodus 6: 6-8YesIsrael Written On Stone Moses (Levites)
Yes Mighty Hand
Clean Animal


First Generation Before Exodus
Exodus 34: 10 Yes YesNew Miracle
Deuteronomy Yes YesYes
Second Generation After Exodus
Jesus1 Cor 11: 24-26
Jer 31:31-33
New Adam
Written On the Heart Jesus
Blood of Jesus

Death of Jesus
John 14YesDwelling Places Holy SpiritPeace Holy Spirit
Revelation 22YesMarriageHusbandJoined No
Holy SpiritAdoptLives in usWriterHelperHearts Curse Removed
SatanEzekiel 28: 11-19 SlaveryErasedSinAccuserSeparationDefeatDeath

Criminal And Civil Justice Laws
The Deliberate Sin
The six cities of refuge were an elaborate system that was set up to absolve a person of unintentional sin. This is symbolically equivalent to the sin offerings that were used for unintentional sin.

But how is intentional sin forgiven?
In the old system, intentional murder was not forgiven. The congregation condemned them to death. In the sacrificial system, Christ became the goat or the sin offering and died in the place of the sinner.
This is where the seventh city of refuge comes in. The New Jerusalem is the place that accepts all sinners and gives all sinners rest from the blood avenger. Christ reconciles and forgives and dies for us, because the death penalty must be applied for intentional sin.
When Jesus advocated forgiveness above the "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" law He was in effect saying that you can base your criminal justice system on compassion and forgiveness. We can follow the perfect way.

Two Witnesses
Also, no one could be condemned on the testimony of one witness. At least two witnesses were needed to testify to the truth. In Revelation, God also has two witnesses that testified of Him. They could either be the Law and the Prophets (represented by both Moses and Elijah) on the Mount of Transfiguration. Or, they could be the Old and New Testament. But since the New Testament was not written or assembled into a book at the time the prophecies of Revelation were given, the two witnesses might be the Law and the Prophets - both are a light that show the Word of God.

Cities Of Refuge
God set up several cities of refuge for everyone, so that He can show mercy.
Refuge. The cities which you shall give to the Levites shall be the six cities of refuge, which you shall give for the man slayer to flee to, and in addition to them you shall give forty two cities.
For Everyone. These six cities shall be for refuge for the sons of Israel, and for the alien, and for the sojourner among them, that anyone who kills a person unintentionally may flee there.
(Numbers 35: 6, 15).

The Blood Avenger. The blood avenger himself shall put the murderer to death; he shall put him to death when he meets him. (Numbers 35: 19).
The person who commits murder can be killed by an avenger. This is a relative of the person killed. But the killer can flee to a city of refuge and escape the judgement of the blood avenger. Here he waits safely for trial or the death of the High Priest. After the death of the high priest he can go back to his former life.

Trial. The cities shall be for you as a refuge from the avenger, so that the manslayer will not die until he stands before the congregation for trial.
Then the congregation shall judge between the slayer and the blood avenger according to these ordinances. The congregation shall deliver the manslayer from the hand of the blood avenger, and the congregation shall restore him to his city of refuge to which he fled; and he shall live in it until the death of the high priest who was anointed with the holy oil.
(Numbers 35: 12, 24,25).
Death of the High Priest. ... But after the death of the high priest the manslayer shall return to the land of his possession. (Numbers 35: 28).

Under the new covenant the sinner will also stand before the congregation for trial at the end of time, after the millennium. The law has not changed.
Under the new covenant the High Priest is Christ and the city of Refuge is the New Jerusalem. (Isaiah 4: 5-6; Psalm 27: 4-5) This law has not changed. Since our High Priest will never die, this means that we must live in the city of the New Jerusalem or the house of God forever. This is what happens! Imagine, a law that is meant to show mercy to a sinner, also becomes a wonderful reward.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. (Psalm 46: 1).
Under the new covenant and the old, God is the avenger. The law has not changed. Christ is the blood avenger who does not want to take revenge, yet. He wants to forgive.
... Vengeance is Mine, I will repay. (Hebrews 10: 30; Deuteronomy 32: 35)

Public Health Laws
Public health and sanitation laws are needed to avoid disease. At the time this law was given, they were a nomadic people, wandering in the desert for forty years. This law would still apply to any such group of people.
These are basically not moral laws, but wisdom dictates that as long as we follow the scientific principles we can adapt the laws to our technology. These ancient laws are very inadequate for the modern size of cities. So we now have sewer systems, so we no longer need to dig pits certain distances away for our homes. We just need to make sure that they do not enter our water and food supplies. The ancient people did not have the technology and resources to build an infrastructure that would take care of their sanitation needs.

Dietary Laws: Clean And Unclean
The original diet was fruits, grains and vegetables for all creation. After the flood, there was no food supply so God instituted the dietary guidelines and animal flesh was allowed to be consumed under these guidelines. After this period we notice that man's life span dropped dramatically, from an average of 400 years to 70 years. The ideal therefore is the original Eden diet.

After Creation
There was a vegetarian diet for all creatures.
Then God said, "Look, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you.
And to every beast of the earth and every bird of the sky and to everything that moves on the earth which has life I have given every green plant for food"; and it was so.
(Genesis 1: 29, 30 ).
Clean Unclean
Lamb Pig
Vegetarian Scavengers
Used for sacrifice Abomination

After The Flood
The rules changed after the flood because the earth was devastated, but this was not the ideal. But at that time everyone knew the concept of clean and unclean animals.
Clean Animals. You shall take with you every clean animal by sevens, a male and his female; and of the animals that are not clean two, a male and his female. (Genesis 7: 2).
Dietary Law. Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you as I gave the green plant. Only you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is its blood. (Genesis 9: 3-4).

After The Exodus
On Mount Sinai, God gave a more detailed law in Leviticus 11. He defined the physical difference between clean and unclean animals.

Bending The Laws
With our scientific knowledge, the question usually arises, can we determine what God was trying to protect us from and use science to make unclean foods clean?
We used that argument for the sanitation laws, why not for the dietary laws? Could we use the same arguments for having our own modern sanitation systems in exchange for the old laws to determine how "unclean" foods can be made fit for human use? We could, but there are at least two problems, first is that we know what God intended and secondly, the remedies that we use such as heating these foods to a higher temperature were clearly available as an option to the ancients so why didn't God just tell them to eat these foods only if you cooked them at a higher temperature?
The answer is that modern technology cannot maintain the spiritual truths that are also a part of these prohibitions. In another lesson we show how the clean animals of the dietary laws represent Christ and why only some of these are used as a sacrifice.

What Was Abolished?
There are some common arguments used to prove that all laws have been repealed. We intend to show that none of these laws were repealed. What did occur is that when Christ was inaugurated first as the High Priest, then the King and then the Judge, He proceeded to appoint judges and to set the times to administer justice. The message of the Gospel is that as the newly appointed King, He has chosen to make peace with His enemies so that the world is now one family. The message of the Gospel is also that we have not been appointed as judges and God has set a time for judgment in the future where He presides as the Judge.

The Vision Of Peter (The Gentiles Are Clean)
In fact it was the dietary law, quoted in the vision of Peter that is used as one argument that Jesus did away with all Jewish Laws. But according to the story these are the facts:
"Get up Peter, kill and eat". (Acts 10: 13)
Peter was hungry when he had a vision. In the vision, Peter saw a great sheet, full of all types of animals - clean and unclean. Then he heard the invitation to kill and eat. Later the voice said that what God has cleansed is not unholy. According to verse 17, although the vision was repeated three times he still did not understand what it meant.

  1. Peter was puzzled as to what the vision meant. Clearly, he still thought that it was not related to a change of the laws
  2. In the end Peter determined that he should not classify people as clean or unclean anymore. God has provided cleansing for all people.
    Peter's Interpretation. However, Peter apparently did not think so. Peter "was perplexed about what the vision meant" (verse 17). He apparently did not think that God had cleansed the animals.
    Then Peter met the gentile Cornelius and a group of foreign believers.
    He tells them in Acts 10: 28. "... God has shown me not to call any man common or unclean".
    God had cleansed the Gentiles, not the pig. The Jews could associate with the Gentiles.

The story of the vision of Peter has been used to prove that the law has been done away with and that this was one of the laws "nailed to the cross" at the death of Jesus.

Eating The Unclean And Clean
Some say that Moses gave permission to eat unclean meat. Moses did not do this.
People Eating at the Temple. Be careful that you do not offer your burnt offering in every place you see, but in the place which the Lord chooses in one of your tribes, there you shall offer your burnt offering, and there you shall do all that I command you.
People Eating at Home. However, you may slaughter and eat meat in any of your gates, whatever you desire, according to the blessing of the Lord your God which He has given you; the unclean and the clean may eat it, as of the gazelle and the deer. Just as a gazelle or deer is eaten, so you will eat it, the unclean and the clean alike may eat it.
(Deuteronomy 12: 13-15, 22)
The text said, "the clean and unclean may eat", not "the clean and the unclean may be eaten". It is the status of the eater that is addressed, not the food.
This chapter addresses eating things dedicated to God and eating ordinary feasts outside the temple. The temple offerings must be eaten at the temple, and only the clean are allowed enter the camp ( Numbers 5: 2) Leviticus 21: 17-20). However, outside the temple, both the clean and unclean people can eat any clean meat such as a deer and gazelle.

The Law Has Not Changed
His arrival did not change the definition of sin, He only brought a cure. The Bible cannot contradict itself. Jesus did not come to abolish the law, instead He did the following.

Which laws were magnified, which were nailed to the cross? He magnified the Ten Commandments, making motives and thoughts just as offensive as deeds. While they do not have the third party effects that the actual deed does, they possibly bear the same guilt as the one who initiated the thought or the action.

The Unclean
I know and am convinced in the Lord that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks to be unclean, to him it is unclean. (Romans 14: 14).
For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude. For it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer. (1 Timothy 4: 4-5).
From the New Testament we now learn that nothing was created that was basically unclean. And that what was once unclean can become clean. So let us look at these things and expand our understanding of the concept of unclean.
Things are defined as unclean because they represent realities that will not exist in Heaven. And they do not represent Christ.

The fact that God allowed clean flesh to be eaten after the flood, shows that the concerns about food are not in the same realm as idolatry. Idolatry always leads to death. Food leads to life, even if some foods eventually shorten the life span. So, in the defense of life and in an emergency certain behaviors are allowed. Taking a life for self defense is allowed, but not murder. Eating any available flesh is preferable to starvation.
But the ideal that exists in heaven will not include these. So there is nothing wrong in striving for the ideal.
So the principle is not an inherent defect or unclean state of the object that is avoided. The highest principle is preserving life.

Nailed To The Cross
The second argument says that Jesus took certain laws and "nailed them to the cross". This passage is also given as proof that the laws were abolished along with the Holy Sabbath day.
Having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which were hostile to us; and he has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day things which were a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. (Colossians 2: 14, 16 - 17)

Do Not Judge. Food or drink, festivals, new moon and Sabbaths. All these things were part of the ceremonial laws. The laws that required all the killing of animals was "contrary to them". These were taken away and nailed to the cross.
The curses were also hostile to them and Christ suffered those on the cross. These were nailed to the cross, or accomplished by Christ. Let us compare the laws.

Changing The Feasts And Sabbaths After The Crucifixion.
One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord. And he who eats does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; And he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God. (Romans 14: 5-6)
The argument here is not about the weekly Sabbath. It was about keeping the ceremonial Sabbaths and the meals associated with them. But Paul concludes that those who keep them are still remembering the Lord. And those who do not remember the Lord on that day through that meal can still gives thanks to God for Christ without an accompanying feast.

All the confusion can be resolved if you understand the decisions they faced. The issues after the crucifixion were how to change the feasts to reflect the sacrifice of the perfect lamb.
Let us look at the problems involving the Passover meal (seder).

Food. One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only. (Romans 14: 2)
So after the crucifixion the issue was, "do we eat the vegetables only?" And if we eat a Passover lamb are we denying the perfect sacrifice of Christ by essentially condoning animal sacrifice? Paul's answer really reflects the fact that it depends on if we fully understand the meaning of the symbols. We can celebrate these feasts as often as possible as long as we acknowledge the correct and complete actions of Christ. We will not be returning to bondage if we diminish the importance of the non-Sabbath portions of the feasts by explaining their fulfillment.
If you compare our Easter traditions to the Passover Seder it is clear that we did not understand the power of Passover and we would have been better off if we had kept Passover instead.

Bondage and Freedom.
Let us look at the changes to the feast days before we understand Paul's reasoning in Galatians 4.
Bondage Years CrossSabbath Rest Fulfillment (After Crucifixion)
Work Days Feast Sabbaths
No Rest Spiritual and Mental RestChrist
Physical Rest
Law on Stone Holy Spirit Pentecost Holy Spirit Latter Rain Fruit Harvest (Law in the Heart)
Sin IsraelChrist Lord's Goat Day of Atonement (Now) ScapeGoat New BodyMillenniumJudgment New Earth
Child Heirs RedeemerCup 1Cup 2Cup 3 Passover WavesheafCup 4ResurrectionTabernacles
Slaves and Managers Land Sabbath Jubilee Evening Rest NightRest Jubilee Morning
Darkness New Moon Dawn Full Moon Full Moon Light Sun Light
Sons of the Flesh Sons of the Promise (Adoption)
Technically, the feasts laws have not been abolished. We are simply living during the sabbaths of those feasts in the years after Christ. It is a time of rest and freedom when we are being represented by the High Priest on the Day of Atonement. So, like the food, the issue is how do we celebrate those sabbaths and the period leading up to the Sabbath. Those days represent the time of bondage before Christ died. The Sabbath represents the rest we have after Christ came.
» Sabbaths Abolished? Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods. But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how is it that you turn back again to the weak and worthless elemental things, to which you desire to be enslaved all over again? You observe days and months and seasons and years. (Galatians 4: 8-10)
So when Paul laments the times we celebrate, he condemns the times that are symbolic of our slavery.

It is now clear why Jesus said that the laws are not abolished until all is fulfilled. They still exist. We are merely living in the Sabbath days of the feasts. So we have another controversy. How do we regard the normal calendar in this period of perpetual Sabbath?
» Are All Days Equal? One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. (Romans 14: 5)
He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God. (Romans 14: 6)
Finally, we can understand Paul's attitude. When we observe the feast days correctly, we are acknowledging what Christ accomplished. When we eat the meat in the Passover, we are remembering how they gnashed their teeth at Him, spit on Him and tore Him apart. This is really no different than eating the broken bread, except that now an unnecessary death occurs to preserve the symbol when we eat the meat. This is why some might eat the vegetables and the bread only. However, both groups give thanks to God if they acknowledge both the bondage that God suffered as well as the freedom He provided. When Christ asks us to eat the bread and wine to remember His death, He was telling us to remember the bondage from which He saved us.

All the feast Sabbaths point to rest from some aspect of the consequences of sin.

So the issue is how do we regard the ceremonial Sabbaths if the weekly Sabbath celebrates the rest that they prophesied about? If you celebrate the weekly Sabbath and highlight these freedoms then I can also conclude with Paul that you can decide about keeping the ceremonial Sabbaths annually because you are already keeping them weekly.

So we conclude with the writer of Hebrews that there remains a rest for the people of God and He would not have given another day (Hebrews 4: 8-11). The weekly Sabbath, created before sin, is the only Sabbath that celebrates all these periods of rest. We get to celebrate the rest provided by all the feast sabbaths as often as possible every Sabbath.
So Jesus rested on the weekly Sabbath at His death because the two Sabbaths had merged. This might establish a pattern that every time one of these global Sabbaths are fulfilled, it will be fulfilled on a high Sabbath. So the weekly Sabbath will take the place of all the feast Sabbaths. Passover was celebrated once a year, but Jesus indicated that we can do it "as often as possible". So that like the Passover, we can remember Jesus as often as possible when we remember the feast sabbaths every weekly Sabbath.

Freedom. Does this knowledge means that we are free to ignore the appointed days. Probably not, since they are still being fulfilled. The writer of Psalms concluded that even though animal sacrifices did not remove sin, Israel had to obey this law until the Messiah came 1000 years later, becaue His instructions were in these laws and ceremonies.

All Feasts Fulfilled.
FeastsDays of BondageSabbath Rest
Before ChristSpiritual RestPhysical Rest
1PassoverNisan 14Wrath and deathNisan 15No condemnation Reconciliation
2Unleavened BreadNisan 14-21Sin, guilt and shameNisan 21No sin
Wavesheaf-DeathNisan 16No death
3PentecostNisan-Sivan49 days of mourning and waitingSivan 5Jubilee.
Power over sin
4Rosh HashannahTishri 1-10Ten days of judgmentTishri 1Sin stopped Judgment
5Yom Kippur Tishri 10Year of judgmentTishri 10No condemnation 1844 - Start of Plagues
6Land Sabbath»Year 1-66 years of slaveryYear 7Freedom Millennium
7Jubilee»Year 1-4949 years of slavery, homelessness and economic bondageYear 50Property restored Third Coming
New heaven and earth
8TabernaclesTishri 15-21Living in temporary sheltersTishri 15Rescued Millennium
-Fruit HarvestTishri Righteous characterResurrection
9Tishri 22New beginningTishri 22Permanent home Third Coming
Remember that there is a spiritual and physical fulfillment of the feasts. As we have just demonstrated, the death of Jesus Christ ushered in the spiritual fulfillment of all these feasts and their Sabbaths. However, at the Second Coming, the physical fulfillment of the autumn feasts will occur.

Slavery is not a wonderful idea that simply needs regulation or benevolent owners. Regulations on slavery are addressed by the Bible because slavery was the conditions under which God found us after sin began. When Adam and Eve sinned they sold themselves and their children into slavery to a kidnapper and tyrant who held us for ransom. While we waited for God to pay the ransom, we were held in bondage to sin. Amazingly, after the ransom was paid and while God is leading us out on an exodus we want to stay in bondage and return to slavery!
So, technically the laws on slavery still exist. But after the crucifixion we were free men waiting for an inheritance and waiting to return home. But it is not freedom from the law, it is strength to keep the law. Our inheritance is a pure heart and eternal life.
So, if the laws on slavery still exist, can Christians own slaves? No! We cannot. The laws on slavery have two conditions that prevent us from owning slaves.

An Eye For An Eye.
If a man injures his neighbor, just as he has done, so it shall be done to him. Fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, just as he has injured a man, so it shall be inflicted on him. (Leviticus 24: 19-20)
eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise. (Exodus 21: 24-25)
Thus, you shall not show pity, life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot. (Deuteronomy 19: 21 )
The Pacifist Directive. You have heard it was said, "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth". But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. (Matthew 5: 38-39)

This verse appears to signify a change in the law. Is God a liar when He says that He does not change? Or has Jesus abolished some laws by His death? I submit that the law has not been changed, what has changed are the circumstances that affect how this law can be executed. This was the law under the theocracy. God no longer has a theocracy on earth in which humans are agents of justice. We are under a theocracy but the administers are in heaven. So the justice under this law will be meted out when He takes revenge from the time of the seven last plagues to hell fire. He will take revenge at that time. Vengeance is His territory according to Hebrews 10 because the justice of man does not achieve real righteousness.
... Vengeance is Mine, I will repay. (Hebrews 10: 30; Deuteronomy 32: 35)
... But everyone must be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger. For the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God. (James 1: 19-20)

Two Eyes for an Eye! In the final punishment of Babylon we see a more severe form of this law once again.
Pay her back even as she has paid, and give back to her double according to her deeds, in the cup which she has mixed, mix twice as much for her. To the degree that she has glorified herself and lived sensuously, to the same degree give her torment and mourning ... (Revelation 18: 6-7)

Many Eyes for an Eye! For the righteous it is even greater! God does not give us what we deserve and He does not simply give us back what we have lost. Instead, He gives us in such abundance that we cannot comprehend it.
It is written, "Things which the eye has not seen and the ear has not heard, and which has not entered into the heart of man, all that God has prepared for those who love Him". (1 Corinthians 2: 9)

Hate Your Enemy.
Another law appears to be changed also.
You have heard that it is said, "Love your neighbour and hate your enemy". But I say to you, "love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you". (Matthew 5: 43-44)
Love your Neighbour. You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbour as yourself. I am the Lord. (Leviticus 19: 18)
Hate your Enemy. No Ammonite or Moabite shall enter the assembly of the Lord ... because they did not meet you with food and water on the way ... You shall never seek their peace or their prosperity all their days. (Deuteronomy 23: 3-6)
The new directive seems to say that your enemy should be treated as your brother. This is because the Gentiles are now formally included in the plan and the former enemy is now your brother. But in the judgment, those who are cast out will be treated as enemies under this law. We are still supposed to hate evil and resist Satan and work to stop his kingdom. Satan is our real enemy.
And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed ... (Genesis 3: 15)
» God Makes Peace. The law did not change. The status of the people who came under this law changed because Christ made peace with His enemies. With Christ, the house of God got larger when the definition of neighbor and brother became more inclusive.
But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall. (Ephesians 2: 13-14)

Stoned For Adultery.
This is another story that seems to point to the end of old laws.
They said to Him, "Teacher, this woman has been caught in adultery, in the very act". Now the law of Moses commanded us to stone such a woman, what then do you say? ... But when they persisted in asking Him, He straightened up and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her". (John 8: 4,5,7).
Their actions were based on this law.
If there is a man who commits adultery with another man's wife, one who commits adultery with his friend's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death. (Leviticus 20: 10).
God is Judge. In 2 Corinthians 5: 10 and other verses God appoints Himself as judge through Jesus Christ.
And He ordered us to preach to the people, and solemnly to testify that this is the One who has been appointed by God as judge of the living and the dead. (Acts 10: 42.)

Sinners Cannot Judge. God deliberately takes away the task of judging from humans because we are not righteous. No human judge has been appointed since the crucifixion. In the future, we may find that the twenty four elders in Heaven are the divinely appointed human judges. But no sinner on earth has the right to judge. Because in this period when God's perfect plan is being fulfilled all His acts must be righteous. He must appoint righteous judges, a righteous court and set a schedule for justice. There was no one found among humans who are worthy of this task.
Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you shall be judged: and with what measure you give, it shall be measured to you again." (Matthew 7: 1-2)

Stoning the Whore. We know that the law is not changed because it is applied in the future. Babylon, the whore, and the adulteress will be stoned by the hail in the seventh plague. She will meet her death in violence as she is crushed by the Rock at the Second Coming.
Then a strong angel took up a stone like a great millstone and threw it into the sea saying, "so will Babylon the Great city, be thrown down with violence, and will not be found any longer". (Revelation 18: 21).

Summary: What Has Changed?
God made peace through His death and reconciled the Jew and the Gentile. The law has not been changed. Our roles and status have changed. Therefore, certain key positions, such as Judge and High Priest and blood avenger, must be given to someone who is indestructible and incorruptible and compassionate. Only Christ meets these tests.
So there is only one difference between the period or dispensation before Christ and the period after. The high priests were mortal and the judges perverted justice. After Christ, the High Priest was merciful, immortal and incorruptible.

who has become such [a high priest] not on the basis of of a law of physical requirement, but according to the power of an indestructible life. The former priests on the one hand existed in greater numbers because they were prevented by death from continuing. But Jesus, on the other hand, because He continues forever, holds His priesthood permanently. (Hebrews 7: 16, 23-24)

This is not simply a change in status that nullifies the law. We know that the law has not changed because they are enforced at the end of time.

Before Christ After Christ
Status NeighborEnemy Christ NeighborEnemy
Law Israel GentilesSatanDeath Cross Israel GentilesThe WickedSatanDeath
Unclean things CleanCommon and Unclean Clean and Sanctified Common and Unclean
Hate your Enemy LoveHateHateHate Reconcile Love your Enemy HateHateHate
Eye for Eye RevengeRevengeRevengeRevenge Mercy Give and Forgive Two eyes for one eye
Judge The Congregation Judge Do not judge The Congregation
Death Penalty Stoning or death by the blood avenger Avenger Do not execute Stoned to death
Note. The symbolism of stoning our enemy, death, is also seen in the fact that a stone is rolled over a grave.

Although the wicked are now our enemy, we cannot judge who belongs in this category because judgment has been taken away from us. God simply says that the Gentiles are now part of the family of Israel and heirs of the promise.
All of this "new attitude" by Christ appears as a change in the law or a change in the policy of the government of God. But it is not. Everything that Christ does is based on an old law that enables Him to do what He does. These laws do not contradict each other because God is not an author of confusion.

Summary: The Difference Between The Laws.
Commandments Commandments Laws Other Laws
Existed at Creation Created at Sinai Animal Sacrifice. It represented the crucifixion of Christ, the lamb of God whose death substituted for our death. It was done as a substitute for the penalty of sin.

Circumcision. It represented the crucifixion of Christ, the death of the male seed. It was done to join the covenant.
Kept inside the arkKept beside the ark
Written by GodWritten by Moses
Written on stoneWritten on paper
Moral lawCeremonial law (feasts, rituals)
Taught righteousnessTaught about Christ, the Plan of Salvation and the penalty of sin
Liberty LifeDeathBlessings and curses. Life and death
Written on our hearts Laws Covenant Documents LawsNailed to the Cross
There were different kinds of laws. We all agree that the sacrifice of animals for sin and laws pointing to death for atonement of sin is no longer necessary. Christ died. These laws were nailed to the cross. Christ died once for all people for all time. What we do not agree on is the status of the other laws. Even the Ten Commandments.

The covenant required the people to obey both sets of laws under penalty.
... observe My decrees and keep My commandments ... (Leviticus 26: 3)

However, it appears that while the curses were totally removed because Christ suffered them for us, the feasts were simply replaced by something better. The curses will no longer be in Heaven, but the feasts will be there without the killing of sacrifices because the permanent sacrifice has already been made.

To understand what has been permanently removed, we should look at what will survive in heaven. It is ridiculous for God to make a law, remove it and then reinstate it in Heaven. It make more sense if God is giving us a better understanding of the law.

The Scope of the Law
Law Origin Purpose On Earth In Heaven
Ten CommandmentsCreation Standard of behavior Still in effect Written on our hearts
SabbathCreation Rest We rest from work and sin Sabbath in heaven
Dietary LawsFlood For health Still in effect Vegetarians. There will be no more death
Ceremonial LawSinai The stages of the work of Christ in the plan of salvation Feast Sabbaths, food and drink offerings, new moon New moon and Weekly Sabbath
PassoverExodus Christ died for us as a substitute Communion. Bread and wine Communion
PentecostSinai Holy Spirit fulfills the promise of making us perfect We develop the fruit of the Spirit Holy Spirit in our hearts
AtonementSinai Judgment God forgives us Christ always intercedes for us
TabernaclesSinai Living with God God is with us. The Holy Spirit is our companion We will live with God
CursesSin Penalty for breaking the laws Christ took the penalty Blessings only. Curses Abolished
DeathSin Penalty for breaking the laws Christ took the penalty Eternal life
CircumcisionAbraham Joining the Covenant people Christ is the seed that was cut off Christ died once for all time
SacrificesSin Substitute for sin Christ was crucified

Surprisingly, only one thing has been permanently removed. That is the curses which have existed since Eden and written down at Sinai. But, they are removed because the people will keep the law.
Origin of the Laws
Many try to minimize the importance of the laws by calling them "Jewish". But all the laws existed at creation or with the entrance of sin, 2000 years before the Jewish nation was called.

Commandments. existed at creation.
  • One God. (Genesis )
  • Sabbath. (Genesis 2: 3)
  • Marriage of Two. (Genesis 2: 24)
  • Do not covet. (Genesis 2: 16-17)
  • Lying. (Genesis 3: 4)

  • Murder. (Genesis 4: 10)
    It is obvious that the other laws existed.

    Covenant. Enforced after sin.
  • Curses. (Genesis 3: 17-24)
  • Death Penalty. (Genesis 2: 17)
  • Substitute. (Genesis 3: 15)

  • So it is more true to say that because of the obedience of the people, the curses will never be applied again.
    Also, it is more true to say that because a permanent sacrifice has been made, we no longer need to perform animal sacrifices.
    There will no longer be any curse. (Revelation 22: 3)
    People will live in it and there will no longer be a curse for Jerusalem will dwell in security. (Zechariah 14: 11)

    Everything else remains in a much more pervasive form. Let us take a look.

    The Law As Teacher.
    The Shadow of the Spiritual Body
    The laws of the physical universe show that an object bathed in light will cast a shadow under most circumstances in the opposite direction of the source of light. Apparently, the spiritual universe has the same laws.
    The light of Christ in the future and the promises of God from the future cast a shadow in the past that was seen in the ceremonial laws.
    Shadow Body Reminder
    Laws Christ Faith
    Bread Body of Christ Bread
    Wine Blood of Christ Wine
    New Moon New start New Moon
    Sabbath Christ gives rest Sabbath
    Feasts Dates covenant kept by Christ
    Did God make a mistake? Did these ceremonies fail? No. These laws were never meant to succeed at forgiving sin or making us perfect. They were meant to teach us how God would do it in the future.
    Why the law then? It was added because of transgressions, having been ordained through angels by the agency of a mediator; until the seed would come to whom the promise had been made.
    Therefore the law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by Him. But now that faith has come we are no longer under a tutor.
    (Galatians 3: 19, 24, 25 )

    Shadow. For the Law, since it is only a shadow of the good things to come and not the very form of things, can never, by the same sacrifices which they offer continually year by year, make perfect those who come near.
    For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.
    (Hebrews 10: 1, 4)

    Shadow Laws. Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day, things which were a mere shadow of what is to come; but the body belongs to Christ. (Colossians 2: 16-17)

    But notice that even though Christ replaced these temporary offerings, He replaces them with the same drink offerings and days to celebrate and remember the work of Christ. The weekly Sabbath now assumes all the meaning that is wrapped up in the ceremonial Sabbaths. On the weekly Sabbath we should also remember that Christ gave us rest from sin, just as He also rested from sin in the grave on the weekly Sabbath.
    When we celebrate communion, we remember the death of Christ until He returns.

    The wages of sin is death The Gift of God is eternal life
    Penalty of SinGift of God
    Death Eternal Life
    Curses Blessings
    How did the law teach about Christ?
    Lamb. Christ dies for us.
    Passover. Death passes over us.
    Pentecost. God lives in our hearts.
    Atonement. Christ justifies us.
    Tabernacles. God lives with us.
    Sin Lamb Curse Holy Spirit Lamb Righteous
    SinLamb Promised Law
    Holy Spirit
    ( Teacher )
    Promised Lamb Given Righteous
    Temporary Shadow Permanent
    The temporary system that was our teacher Christ is the seed to whom the promise was made. The Holy Spirit is the teacher

    Most people who read this always think about the Ten Commandments. The law engraved on stone will be engraved on our hearts. It is not annulled. It is strengthened by the work of the Holy Spirit.
    But if you look more carefully, it was only the ceremonial laws that were the teachers, that taught us about Christ. None of the Ten Commandments teach us about Christ, the plan of salvation and what he does for us. But the ceremonial laws, the feasts and the sanctuary all serve this purpose. Every piece of furniture, every offering, every feast day, the clothing of the priest, everything ... it all teaches us about Christ.
    Only those things within those laws that were accomplished by the death and ministry of Christ were nailed to the cross. Christ did not come to give us the freedom to be lawless and immoral. He came to give us the ability to be law abiding people because we love God, we love the law and we want to please God.

    Summary: The Feasts After Christ
    Have these laws been abolished? Absolutely not! They still prophesy about Christ. The only custom that is abolished is the sacrifice of an animal. However, the custom and purpose for the Lamb has not been abolished because Christ is the Lamb that is still bleeding and His blood is still fresh. So we still have a slaughtered Lamb to offer to God when we sin.

    All the events that the feasts symbolize have not been fulfilled. Therefore, it makes sense that they should still be kept. Jesus said that no law will be abolished until everything is fulfilled.
    Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. (Matthew 5: 17)

    "Fulfill" must mean the opposite of abolish. Let us look at what has been fulfilled and how we should be keeping these feasts today and then we will summarize the teachings of Paul which seems to suggest that the ceremonial laws have been abolished.
    FeastDate LeviticusNumbers Deut.After Christ
    Eternal Feasts-Daily (Continual) Daily -28: 1-8-I die daily
    -Sabbath (Day 7) Saturday 23: 328: 9-10-Rest from sin
    -New Moon Month Day 1 -28:11-15;10:10-A new church
    ScapegoatAtonement Nisan 14 23: 26-32 29: 7-11-Gethsemane
    Lord's Goat Chosen Nisan 10 Leviticus 16; Exodus 12: 3Lamb of God
    Bull Feast of Tabernacles Nisan 15-21 23:33-4429:12-3416:13-16Priest Ordained
    Seven Days
    Spring FeastsLamb Passover Nissan 14 23: 428: 1616: 1-2Death passed over
    1Feast of Unleavened Bread Nissan 15-21 23: 5-928: 17-2516: 3-8Separating from sin
    Palm BranchWavesheaf (First Fruits) Next Sunday 23: 10-14--Resurrection
    Wheat First Fruits-23: 10,15 -263000 Jews accept
    Dove2Feast of Weeks +50 days 23: 15-2228: 26-3116:9-12Holy Spirit
    Autumn FeastsShofarFeast of Trumpets Tishrei 1 23: 23-2529:1-6;10:10-Judgment
    Land Sabbath Year 7, Tishri 1 25: 1-7-15Free from debt
    Jubilee Year 50, Tishri 10 25: 8-55--Inherit the earth
    ScapegoatDay of Atonement Tishrei 10 23:26-32 29:7-11-Sealed
    Scapegoat Tishrei 10 16 --Satan
    Palm Branch3Feast of Tabernacles Tishrei 15-21 23:33-4429: 12-3416:13-16Heaven
     Shemini Atzeret Tishrei 21 23: 36,3929: 35-40-Final Judgment
     Simchat Torah (8th Day) Tishrei 22 23: 36,3929: 35-40-New Earth
    Since Jesus was sacrificed once for all (Hebrews 7: 27), then all sacrifices for all these feasts and ceremonies must have been completed on Nisan 14.

    Traditions Of Men
    There were two sets of laws written in the old testament. One was the Ten Commandments and the other was called "the law of Moses". It contained the detailed laws and ordinances. These are what the Jews counted and referred to as the 613 Mitzvot. Somehow, these laws of Moses became synonymous with the hated "traditions of men" that the "legalistic Jews" made up to keep the law. This is false. God approved of all of these laws. Therefore they were good. God cannot be the author of good laws which become bad.
    The Jews made up other laws so that they could keep these two sets of laws. These are the traditions of men.

    Ordinances Nailed To The Cross?
    Colossians 2 and 1 Corinthians 11 seem to suggest that all these feasts have been abolished. We only accept that the following can be replaced with better practices or a better understanding.

    Contrary. The idea that these are "contrary" or "against us" only makes sense with the curses and the animal sacrifices.

    More Fulfillment.

    Changed By The Cross
    Everybody assumed that Paul was talking about abolishing the entire feast system. But he only implies that they were being judged negatively in regards to whatever they were doing, or not doing. Taking my previous arguments about the feasts, suppose He was talking about being judged for the changes they made in the ordinances to reflect the events that were fulfilled by Christ. So what did Paul teach?

    Study to show yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.   2 Timothy 2: 15 Time: 100 minutes
    Print: 23 pages
    Copyright   Updated : August 25, 2004. February 2008.
    Author: Laverna Patterson. Editor: Patterson (January 2008)